Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:55:38 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?T=c4=b3l_Coosemans?= <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: colord hints needed

On 12/18/18 3:05 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:33:45 -0700 Gary Aitken
> <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
>> Can anyone who is using colord point me at what it takes to get it
>> running? I have it installed but it's not running, and it's not
>> clear to me how to get it set up.  I see man pages installed for
>> cd-create-profile cd-fix-profile cd-it8 colormgr I see the
>> following behavior:
>> I'm running xfce4 as a wm; no session mgr.
>
> It provides org.freedesktop.ColorManager D-Bus service and it should
> be started automatically by dbus-daemon whenever an application tries
> to access that service.  When I run "colormgr get-devices" colord is
> started.

Thanks.  I've got colord running (manually started at the moment)

> So make sure you have dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and that it
> is running (run "service dbus status" and "service dbus start").  You
> may also need to have xfce4-session installed and start xfce using
> "startxfce4 --with-ck-launch".

I have xfce4-session installed.
I normally start x using startx with xfce4 started via .xinitrc.
The cmd used to just be
   /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 &
but I've changed that to include --with-ck-launch

So colord is running, but there is no _ICC_PROFILE atom on the root window.
   colormgr get-devices
shows nothing
   colormgr get-profiles
shows the icc profiles installed with colord.
It lists them with an "Object Path" of
   /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles
and a Filename (actual path, apparently) of
   /usr/local/share/color/icc/colord

I seem to have the following processes related to session management:

$ ps ax | grep session
71083  -  Is        0:00.11 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
71112  -  S         0:00.07 /usr/local/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
71043 v4  I         0:00.00 ck-launch-session xfce4-session
71079 v4  I         0:00.07 xfce4-session
71082 v4  I         0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xfce4-session
71249  7  S+        0:00.00 grep session

How does one get the _ICC_PROFILE atom assigned to the display?
Or perhaps a better question, how does one tell colord that a device
should be available to be color managed?  There seem to be commands for
creating, activating and setting properties of a device, but it is unclear
to me what the attributes of those commands are and how to choose
appropriate values.
e.g. create-device [ID} [SCOPE] [KIND], device-set-kind [ID|PATH] [KIND]
The man page for colormgr isn't much help...

Thanks,

Gary