Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:36:22 +0100
From:      "Jan-Peter Koopmann" <Jan-Peter.Koopmann@seceidos.de>
To:        "Erwin Lansing" <erwin@lansing.dk>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: MailScanner port update question

Hi Erwin,

> The easiest would be to write a follow-up to the original PR=20
> with the new version. You probably want to include a link to=20
> the new tarball/shar as it's rather large. Otherwise, file a=20
> new PR and ask for the original to be closed.

Thanks for the quick answer!

In the first version I had to supply the man pages via patches. The man
pages will be part of the download in the next version therefore the
port will be a lot(!) smaller. Maybe I will really send in a completely
new version and ask the guys to close the first request. Might be the
easiest solution for all this time.=20

Once this is in the ports tree how do I update the port? Via send-pr and
new "bug reports" flagged as change-requests? And what is the best
solution then? Diffs or complete new shar-archives? Sorry to get on all
of your nerves but this is the first port I am contributing and I have
not found any (clever) instructions on this in the porters handbook.=20

This way of updating a port appears a bit complicated to me but I
suppose this kind of discussion has been here some times so I will
better not start it again. :-)

What is your experience? How quickly are change-requests adopted into
the ports-tree in general?

Regards,
 JP