Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 1995 13:37:54 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Just saying hello...

Hi all,

    I've finally joined -hackers and -current, now that I have my own
functioning address at work.  :)  Some of you might know me better as
"Carmay Lim" (started the threads of PC Hardware Recommendations, had
questions about the Aries+NCR PCI combination, plus a myriad of other
FreeBSD newbie questions ;-)).  She's my boss and I was using her account
while the CC people here figured out how to create another one for me.
They're all DOS/Novell weenies and Linux dweebs anyway.  :-/  ;-)

    Anyhow, I work at the Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan as a research
assistant and systems administrator (graduated with a B.Sc in cell and
molecular biology from University of Toronto last year).  All that I know
about UNIX, C programming and shell scripting is self-taught through much
trial and error.  ;-)  So far I have two FreeBSD machines here, both of
which are in use 16 to 18 hours a day, every day.  As we hire more
students and assistants (we're just starting up a lab), I plan to add one
machine per person.  They will act primarily as X terminals to our
compute servers (various RS/6000's, SGI's and HP's) as well as handling
non-compute tasks such as preparing papers in LaTeX, post-simulation
analysis of data, data visualisation, reading mail and news, jumping on
IRC, viewing GIF's, etc.  ;-)

    The support I've received from various FreeBSD developers so far has
been superb.  As I told Stefan Esser and Joerg Wunsch, SGI can't come out
with kernel fixes this quickly, and I have to pay my IBM service rep
$200/hour before he'll even rlogin to take a look around.  :-/  Looking
forward to the 2.1 release.  :)  NRN.

- Brian