Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:17:01 +0200
From:      Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   way for failover zpool (no HAST needed)

--=-ykXySr4PpJErAbcEIeif

hi,

my two nodes are running fine with 8.2-stable and the LSI 9200-8e and
now, I want to build a failover for the Zpool (and later ISCSI target)

Both nodes are connected to the same disks (jbod) and now I need a way,
to get the zpool(s) running on the node with the CARP public IP.

I found something about carp, hooks, devd etc. pp. My first thought was:

carp -> hook -> zpool import -> devd -> ISCSI target up

Problem HostA: no network:

carp -> hook -> zpool export -> devd -> ISCSI target down -> OK

Back to master shouldn't be a problem, I think ...

Problem HostA: power off:

carp -> hook -> zpool import -> devd -> ISCSI target up -> OK

But a bad problem could be:

Problem HostA: SAS Cntrl/cabel problem:

carp is up and running ..., no reason to failover to slave ... -> bad

So, I mean, I have to use devd who takes notes, that the /dev/da* disks
are gone or inaccessible and inform carp or shutdown the network
interface to force carp switching over to slave.

So any hints are welcome :-)

If it works, I will write a howto for that one :-)

cu denny

--=-ykXySr4PpJErAbcEIeif

--=-ykXySr4PpJErAbcEIeif--