Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:55:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      peter lageotakes <plageotakes@yahoo.com>
To:        Bubble Gum <pldsoftlist@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: about logo

--- Bubble Gum <pldsoftlist@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just want to ask (i'm sorry if it's a silly
> question),why freebsd logo use "devil" character?

Its not a devil.  The character is a question is a
daemon (not demon).  A daemon describes a process,
like any other operating system.  Windows users call
them programs and *nix users call them daemons. One
definition of daemon is a help (deity) neither good
nor evil.  Why does he carry a pitch fork? Well that's
another Unix thing: "fork -- create a new process"
Feel free to read that man (manual) page for fork:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=fork&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.9-RELEASE&format=html

Why is it called a beastie? Say BSD really fast and
what sound does it make? Why is beastie wearing gym
shoes (chuck taylors)? Well I don't have an answer for
that one.

A very nice description exists on the FreeBSD web
site:
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

If I have made any errors or omissions, please correct
me.

Pete

=====
ESCape with VI. Cheese A La mode.