Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:48:51 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The next exciting installment of docproj.docbook.mk splitting.

On Thu 1999-09-02 (15:52), Nik Clayton wrote:
> Great work Neil.  You've pretty much managed to do everything that was on
> my make(1) ToDo list, including the bits that I hadn't got round to
> mentioning (${ROOT_SYMLINKS} for one), and after reading through the code
> to do it you've done it better than I could.

Thanks! (:

> Which just about leaves room for a quick straw poll.  Underscores in
> variable names to separate words.  Good or bad?

It's a tough call - the underscores improve readability, but they're
definitely in the minority.

> name a few.  The use of ..._FLAGS vs. ...FLAGS is particularly
> confusing.

We should definitely decide on a standardized way of doing this.
Sans underscore gets my vote on this issue (same with OPTS).

KNOWN_FORMATS and KNOWN_COMPRESSED should probably stay the same.
Non-abbreviated long (>5) words should be separated by underscores?
Maybe the previous, with the condition it references a list, not
just a single item?

INSTALL_ONLY_COMPRESSED vs. INSTALLONLYCOMPRESSED seems a good
argument against axing without regard.

All things of form somethingDIR or somethingMODE or somethingOWN
shouldn't have underscores.

DOCPREFIX vs. DOC_PREFIX?  I find it cumbersome to type with the
underscore.  All current usage examples use the form without the
underscore.

DOCGRP_OVERRIDE vs DOCGRPOVERRIDE?  That's a definite for an
underscore.  Both sides are pretty long, and it isn't obvious where
a break would occur (too many consonants in a row).

I did INSTALL_DOCS in the style of bsd.port.mk's INSTALL_*.
INSTALL_FLAGS should drop the underscore, if only to make it easier
to apply a rule that says "no underscore before FLAGS".

> Right now it would be pretty trivial to strip the '_' from our variable
> names, and to the best of my knowledge we don't (yet) have lots of
> people external to the project who are using our files on systems other
> than FreeBSD -- so the impact is likely to be minimal.  Doing this at a
> later stage would probably inconvenience more people.

We should make sure we don't change variable names in our "replacements"
of the system make files, is my only real concern.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za