Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 00:18:57 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        simon.windsor@btinternet.com
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New user - Many questions

Simon Windsor wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Sunday 26 May 2002  8:42 pm, you wrote:
> > On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 11:31:09AM +0100, Simon Windsor wrote:
> > > - Why is the base system so big ? I here that perl is being
> > > removed, shouldn't sendmail,bind/named also be removed to
> > > packages ?
> >
> > The base system has everything needed for a full *working*
> > system, and only weighs in about 200Mb. How big did you expect
> > it go be?
>
> A basic UNIX install of 200MB is indeed very good. I merely was
> asking should not many of the basic utilities be installed as
> packages, like Linux, for example do you want sendmail, exim or
> no mail server etc.
>
> This could equally apply do other parts of the base system where
> many people might want a choice of other options.
>
> This might not be the FreeBSD way of doing things, and if so I am
> sorry for raising the point.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but... Perl is needed when compililng
the kernel, therefore it must be in the base system. Sendmail
might be used when sending mail to localhost with security infor-
mation and so on (this I'm not even 100% sure of :-). Also other
stuff might be needed by the system for doing system dependent day
to day stuff and therefore has to be included.

> Simon

Best regards,
Paul