Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:56:02 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20010118232422.049b7a50@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010118215247.047d8df0@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010118152351.00cb89a0@localhost> <Pine.BSF.4.21.0101182256190.56691-100000@spaz.huntsvilleal <4.3.2.7.2.20010118215247.047d8df0@localhost> <20010118222129.B360@shale.csir.co.za> <4.3.2.7.2.20010118232422.049b7a50@localhost> <20010119115716.M11626@physics.iisc.ernet.in> <4.3.2.7.2.20010118233228.04a5f5f0@localhost>

On Thu 2001-01-18 (23:33), Brett Glass wrote:
> >You mean, you think reading your rants, flames and paranoid
> >delusions *is* fun?
>
> Another fun aspect of the hazing: those doing it have a
> tendency to "pile on."

I know this runs the risk of starting a "Brett vs. World" pile-on, and
it was indeed inspired in part by the behaviour that Brett describes (I
assume in a deprecatory manner), but since we're spouting about social
groups, entrance, hazing, and so forth...

Part of many groups, is the person who never realises that people in the
group really don't approve of his behaviour, and _really_ don't agree
with his rhetoric, despite his numerous anonymous referrals to people
who do.  The possible reasons he gives to himself are either mass
delusion or mass stupidity within the members of the group.  Of course
they want him to behave this way; they'd be stupid not to.

This person sometimes, but not always, complains about how the group
shouldn't badmouth him to within the group, or with others, and accuses
them of backstabbing his attempts to do "what the group really wants,
but just doesn't know it".

What this person doesn't really understand is that he isn't showing the
respect of the group necessary to have reciprocal respect.  While it's
usual for groups to have members of varying beliefs, it is unusual for
groups to allow in members who show fundamentalist tendencies in areas
where there are varying beliefs within the population and push that
vision as a vision for the entire group.  If this fundamentalist nature
also continues to drive new members of the group, this compounds the
hesitancy to admit this person as a member to the group.  This person
tends to not to realise the group exists for purposes other than which
he believes it should have, and tends not to change his views.

I'm not a qualified student of social science, but I have seen this
within two groups of which I am a member (a militant feminist and an
anti-discrimination group, and an anti-religious person in a an
organisation opposing the benefits accorded to certain religious groups
at a university).

I also managed to realise I was inhibiting my own entry into a group due
to my drive for a belief that was not yet even thought about, let alone
shared.  However, upon realisation, I toned down the rhetoric, and
joined the group for the sake of the group, not my personal causes, as
the group exists for its own purposes, not necessarily my own.

Subsequently, those purposes have become increasingly similar to mine,
as I contribute to the group, and prove my worth as a member of the
group, and with the natural sharing and modification of views of members
in the group.

(I'll make this on-topic by mentioning that this has to do with BSD
advocacy.  Or something.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner