Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:56:47 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good printer & digital camera under FreeBSD?

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:01:27AM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm looking at getting the missus a digital camera for Christmas.
> This would mean we'd need a decent printer.  Our existing Canon
> BJC-250 isn't bad for printing web pages, but it certainly isn't
> photorealistic!
>
> What sort of printers have people had good luck with lately?  Also,
> what's a decent new digital camera that works with FreeBSD?

I've had pretty good results from recent HP DeskJets (a 9xx model, but that
was a few months ago so no doubt it no longer exists :-) This was on
Windows, but I have read good reports about the quality that can be
obtained from the latest GhostScript drivers.  Take a look on
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ to see exactly what's supported.

As for cameras, I'm a very happy owner of an Olympus C3030Z.  The more
recent 3040 and 4040 models are apparently just as good.  These should work
with the umass driver, so you can just mount the camera like a disk and
copy the images off.  The 3030 uses its own protocol but is supported by
the gphoto port.

	Scott