Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:04:07 -0400
From:      Maury Markowitz <maury@OAAI.COM>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Presenting FreeBSD to a Linux Users Group?

> I stopped using Linux (RedHat) a little over 2 years ago, but one of
> my worst memories was constantly fighting with RPM.

  I can't speak for RH, I've only seen the Debian stuff.  I'm
pushing Apple to use it, but in retrospect I'm thinking maybe they
shouldn't, because it's GPL'ed and I'm not sure I like the side
effects of GPL.  Nevertheless dpkg is cool, so maybe you can tell me
if this is as cool?

  Basically dpkg has a complete dependancy tree, so you can say that
in order to use xxx, you also need at least version yyy of zzz.
This can continue at any level in the OS.  If you do have something
out of date, I believe it can actually go out on the net and get the
pkg needed to update zzz, and then install it, and then continue to
install your original pkg.

  Is there something similar for FreeBSD (forgive me, I'm new to
this)?  If there isn't, would anyone reading this be interested in
making one with me?

> it's changed substantially in the last 2 years, but my experience with
> the ports/pkg system has been pleasant and stress free.

  Me too now that I think of it!  I wanted a nice editor (don't say
vi, please) so the boss showed me the package system on our FreeBSD
box, and we had pico (inside pine) installed in a few seconds.  It
was nice, although on the Apple side of things I'd much prefer a
Cocoa GUI (as opposed to char graphics), and I'd be happy to write
that part myself.

Maury