Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:55:59 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        tigger@ebom.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Restart network without reboot?

If you just want to shut down the network then you could try

ifconfig name_of_interface down
then
ifconfig name_of_interface up
see man ifconfig

or

init 1 to drop to single user mode without network
and then
exit to return to init3 with network

As it turns out, these both are considered so standard that it would be
stating the obvious to most unix admins.  Unfortunantly that is the case
with a lot of things in Unix and is probably why the learning curve is so
high.

tigger@ebom.org
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
04/11/2001 04:27 AM