Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:56:40 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Thierry Black" <thierryblack@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .vacation: Permission denied

At 03:40 PM 7.10.2002 -0600, Thierry Black wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Im trying to use the vacation program to set up an autoresponder.  First I
>did "vacation -i", and it created ~/.vacation.db (64KB).  The home directory
>is 0755. I created the following .vacation.msg, 0644:
>
>From: thierry@domain.com
>Subject: Out of the office
>
>Out of the office.
>
>Then in /etc/mail/aliases I put
>
>thierry: "|/usr/bin/vacation thierry", thierry
>
>I still get messages delivered to me, but the vacation program does not want
>to work:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>"|/usr/bin/vacation thierry"
>    (reason: data format error)
>    (expanded from: <thierry@domain.com>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>vacation: .vacation: Permission denied
>501 5.6.0 Data format error
>
>Whats with ".vacation: permission denied"?  Is .vacation supposed to exist?
>I could not find any reference to this.
>
>My maillog shows basically the same thing as above.
>
>Im using sendmail plus cyrus for lacal delivery.
>
>thierry

Where did you get the instructions to put that in aliases? Mine works by
setting up a .forward file as shown by :
VACATION(1)
DESCRIPTION
       Vacation  returns  a  message  to  the sender of a message
       telling them that you are currently not reading your mail.
       The intended use is in a .forward file.  For example, your
       .forward file might have:

              \eric, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a allman eric"

       which would send messages to you (assuming your login name
       was eric) and reply to any messages for ``eric'' or ``all-
       man''.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator