Date:      9 Apr 2000 16:07:53 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@asme.org> wrote:

> > I would like to introduce you all to a language where there is NO
> > difference between spelling and pronunciation: Italian.
>
> I am  not sure this is true: the "gn" in the word "gnomo" is pronounced
> like the "ñ" in Spanish.

But that's strictly regular. Yes, Italian uses a variety of digraphs.
Remember the Roman alphabet was only really suited to writing
classical Latin. For other languages, it's just a hack.

> I also understand you (actually we, since in theory I am Italian
> also) don't extrictly have a "z" since in Italian this is pronounced
> "ts".

's' is [s] in front of vowels and voiceless consonants, [z] in
front of voiced consonants. My tiny Italian dictionary also says
it's either [s] or [z] between vowels according to no particular
rules. I don't know whether this means that it's up to the speaker
or whether you just need to know. Apparently the distinction is
only phonemic, not phonemic, so there's probably little harm if
you get it wrong.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de