Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:14:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make and f77

I have completed a port of a very old FORTRAN program I started back in the
70's in grad school.  I have been able to compile the program manually (it has
only 7 source files) and link it manually.  I am afraid my knowledge of make
is very out of date.  I have tried several times to create a make file, but
the link steps always fail:

BEGIN Makefile ==========

cnindo: coord.o ss.o eign.o open.o closed.o matio.o huckle.o

coord.o: coord.f
ss.o: ss.f
eign.o: eign.f
open.o: open.f
closed.o: closed.f
matio.o: matio.f
huckle.o: huckle.f

END Makefile ===========

I am able to compile the programs manually and link them manually with ld.

The make file ALWAYS fails with errors that the *.o files cannot be
found.  It appears the  compiler does not produce .o files from .f files, so I
know I am leaving out some rules for f77, but I don't know what rules to
apply.  I haven't done any make files in loooong time, so any references or
reading concerning make files will be greatly appreciated.  (Yes, I read the
man make entry, and it makes some sense, just not enough for me to get it to
work.)

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic