Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:10:57 +0000
From:      "Steve Gatt" <stevegatt@hotmail.com>
To:        jan@caustic.org, matt@gsicomp.on.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5 Installation - Disk Space

Hello,

First I would like to thank both of you for your prompt reply.  I am still
unsure as to what I should do.  My main purpose in setting up this machine
(P100 16MB 2GB) is to have an experimental computer which I can use to try
things out and to have the computer be useful before it really goes
obsolete.  I do wish to have a working Unix system for now, and although the
FreeBSD 2.1.5 is from August 1996, I had the CD pack brought to me and never
installed it since then (pity).  I have a couple of Linux distributions from
1996 and Suse Linux from 1999, but I would like to try out the BSD.  I was
afraid that a more modern version would need even more disk area.  The
computer I use daily has a larger disk which I am not using fully, but it
has many files I would like to go over or save somewhere (CD) that are
taking up space, and it will be some time before I can free up that space.

Yes, five years is a long development time, and I would want to install the
latest version, but I want to also install and give my primary effort to
Windows NT Server 4.0 (yes, another old OS) since it is still widely used
and forms the basis for 2000, and still have Windows 95 for general purpose
use.  Too much in too little space, but I have no other hardware to spare,
but that might change in a few months.  I wonder if I should wait until
then, then set up FreeBSD 4.x.

So I gather I would have to add up the 200 MB for / and the 200 for /var
which makes about 450 MB with swap.  Less than 1GB but more than I wish to
give up.  I have looked in Hardware.txt, but found no mention of my
hardware.  Yes, I guess using those outdated software is scary.

I also have a 3Com Combo 10 Mbps NIC (UTP, BNC & AUI) but it's not easy to
find now, and I don't know the exact hardware.  So version 4.3 would need
250 MB for binaries and X, 50 for swap, and some room to grow.  And this
should not be much different for any 4.x I would think, all of which should
run fine on a 16MB P100 as you point out.

So the 340 MB stated on the back of the 2.1.5 CD pack for a development
system, which must be the binaries, X, and GCC, plus 48 or so swap, plus a
bit of growth room, looks like the minimum any way I look at it and that
looks like 400+ MB.  So I am thinking that I should install FreeBSD in
another system, or see if I can replace the disk in this system or add
another one.

(Mind boggling how much code programmers are able to generate, and keep
track of.)

Steve