Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:55:39 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        phreaknic@hushmail.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a little bit of advice about Free Bsd..........

phreaknic@hushmail.com wrote:

> I have been thinking about putting Free Bsd on my system for a little while
> know, and Have a couple quick questions. Once I have Freebsd installed and
> X configured can I immediatly start window
> maker (Fell in love with it recently)?  Does netscape come pre-installed?
> and lastly is setting up sound a simple process, or fairly difficult? Slackware
> comes to mind. anyway Thanks for your time.

After installing FreeBSD and X you'll then need to install Windowmaker before
you can use it. It's in the ports collection. Netscape doesn't come
preinstalled, but it too is in the ports collection. See the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) for instructions on using the ports system.

Sound isn't too hard to set up, but it really depends on what sound card you
have. Look at the release notes
(http://www.freeBSD.org/releases/4.0R/notes.html) to see what cards are
supported. Note: SBLive! has just recently been added, so its not in the
standard distribution yet, but if you search the mail archives you can find the
appropriate instructions.

-Brandon

--
bfoz@glue.umd.edu