Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:39:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mal@algonet.se (Mats Lofkvist)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java support under FreeBSD.

> - I can't see any decent way to automagically execute <name>.class when
>   a user types <name>. If typing <name>.class is considered ok, why
>   is typing 'java <name>' not? If the solution is to add a soft link,
>   why not write a two-line script at once and avoid the need for kernel
>   support altogether?

There is no way to do this, short of hacking the shell, or doing the
expression expansion for path expressions in the kernel, rather than
in the shell (there are a lot of good reasons you'd want to do this,
actually, but it's complicated unless you do it precisely the right
way when you do it).

I have no problem with "name.class"... if someone does, then they
need to rename their "exectuable" to "name" instead of "name.class".
Is it possible to distinguish "name.class" (class) from "name"
(non-class) JAVA code?  Does the code depend on the ".class" extension
for determining how it runs?

> - If the kernel only keeps track of a single CLASSPATH (via sysctl or
>   whatever), the user is limited to the code locations supported by
>   the sysadmin. Kind of not being able to set my own PATH, uck :-(
>   Maybe the kernel CLASSPATH should be appended to the users??

Yes.  This is what I would suggest.  The sysctl CLASSPATH is the
"default path".

I would maybe go so far as to say that if the user specifies a CLASSPATH,
it should override, entirely, the sysctl CLASSPATH for invocations by
that user.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org