Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 23:15:46 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Dave Cantrell <phaedrus@alltel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Log File Archiving

Hi,

If you look at the /etc/newsyslog.conf file you should see an entry
for /var/log/messages in there. It will only start to rotate once
it's size reaches 100kb.

If you don't have many messages being logged this can take quite a
while. Mine has still not been rotated since the 10th of September.

Here is the relevant line from my /etc/newsyslog.conf file.

# logfilename          [owner:group]    mode count size when [ZB] [/pid_file] [sig_num]
.
.
/var/log/messages                       644  5     100  *     Z
.
.
.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 12:54:02PM -0500, Dave Cantrell wrote:
> After installing 4.1 and CVS'ing to 4.1.1, I find this error message daily
> in the croned e-mail to root
>
> ******
> Subject: FOO.BAR.net security check output
>
> (NOT RELEVANT JUNK DELETED -DRC)
>
> FOO.BAR.net login failures:
> /var/log/messages.0*.gz: No such file or directory
>
> FOO.BAR.net refused connections:
> /var/log/messages.0*.gz: No such file or directory
> ******
>
> If memory serves, this file should be the archived "messages" file (as do
> the cron/sendmail.st/maillog files), and I do not recall having this problem
> with 3.X and 4.0.  Try as I may, I cannot remember/figure out how to turn on
> the archiving for this particular file.  Anyone care to refresh my memory?
>
> drc
> --
> Dave Cantrell		| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is User Friendly.
> phaedrus@alltel.net	| It's just choosy with whom it makes friends.
> Lincoln, Nebraska, USA	| And currently we have only a nodding acquaintance.

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

The sweeter the apple, the blacker the core --
Scratch a lover and find a foe!
		-- Dorothy Parker, "Ballad of a Great Weariness"