Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:21:38 -0400
From:      "D.D.W. Downey" <pgpkeys@pgpkeys.net>
To:        "Thomas Farrell" <info@mvcg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GRE issues

On Saturday 05 June 2004 02:00 pm, you wrote:
> The link below will show you exactly how to setup GRE tunnels
>
> http://www.pointless.net/~jasper/consume/docs/my-docs/tunneling.html

Right on, thank you for that URL. Reinforces that I am on the right track. =
I=20
found that URL before I mailed the list and this confirms that I've done th=
is=20
correctly. For that I wish to thank you.

However, the problem still remains. See, the problem is that from the remot=
e=20
side of the tunnel I can ping any IP address I assign lcoally, from the blo=
ck=20
I'm trying to route over the gre tunnel. I can ping the local side of the=20
routing from the remote. However, if I ping the remote side of the tunnel=20
(NOT the IPs used in the ifconfig gre1 tunnel <IP1> <ip2> statement, but th=
e=20
one used for the link1 statement) it fails to ping. I get exactly *one* pin=
g=20
through and recorded and then the rest just "magically" disappear. The loca=
l=20
side shows them going out (via ipfw add statements and counting the packets=
),=20
but the far side records only one packet recieved and ping shows one single=
=20
successful send. Every packet after that seems to get lost.

I've been thinking on this and want to see how far off base I am. So, feel=
=20
free to tell me if you see something wrong in my logical thoughts.

I have the /29 routed to here on the remote over the gre tunnel. I have=20
another route statement on THIS side (local) for the same block. (My=20
reasoning being that for the packets for that block to be answerable it has=
=20
to know to go back over the tunnel. However, in my head that seems wrong=20
since routing is destination based packet routing which means that i'm just=
=20
bouncing the packets back and forth over the gre tunnel. It works fine comi=
ng=20
from the remote to me because, well that's the correct traffic path. The=20
route on MY side of the tunnel is wrong because I'm saying to route packets=
=20
destined for the /29 BACk to the REMOTE side of the tunnel. Obviously not=20
what we want here. The example given on the URL we both have shows 2=20
different /30s being routed across the GRE. I don't have that. I have a=20
single /29 coming TO me locally. Now i need to know how to route any packet=
s=20
the /29 generates in response to traffic BACK over the gre TO the remote si=
de=20
and of course, back to their origination.=20

OK, so I see I'm doing it wrong with the routing statement on my side (loca=
l)=20
of the gre tunnel. How would I route the packets the /29 generates (either=
=20
from me just using the IPs outbound with return traffic, or as someone=20
contacting the IPs in the /29 and me responding)?

Seems route is only half the answer when dealing with this.

=2D --=20
D.D.W. Downey
CyberSpace Technologies, Inc.
AS64567-OCCAID