Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:00:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        phreaknic@hushmail.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a little bit of advice about Free Bsd..........

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 phreaknic@hushmail.com wrote:

> I have been thinking about putting Free Bsd on my system for a little while
> know, and Have a couple quick questions. Once I have Freebsd installed and
> X configured can I immediatly start window
> maker (Fell in love with it recently)?  Does netscape come pre-installed?
> and lastly is setting up sound a simple process, or fairly difficult? Slackware
> comes to mind. anyway Thanks for your time.

WindowMaker does not come as part of the installation but is dead easy to
install from the ports (or packages), no sweat. Netscape is something you
can also install from ports, but it will have to be downloaded. The
installation process for either is disgustingly painless. Check the
handbook on using the ports collection.

Sound is another story. You will have to identify the correct driver for
your card and recompile the kernel since the generic kernel has no sound
support at all. If working with Linux has given you an irrational fear of
recompiling kernels, relax. this is one thing where FreeBSD is very
obviously NOT Linux. Do make sure your sound card is supported and check
the list archives for problems other people may have encountered with it.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/