Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 20:18:05 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        goldfish@value.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why natd?

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 09:54:45PM -0800, goldfish@value.net wrote:

> What is the purpose for running natd?  I don't understand.

With natd you can remap packets. Practically it means, if you have an
ISP and a machine through which you dialup to your provider, you can
make machines sitting on your local network (ethernet in most cases)
reach the outer world (internet) without the necessity to have
a routable (official) network. You can give your local machines
a network like 192.168.x.0 and tell them to use your gateway
to the ISP (which is then running natd) to remap the packets to
the IP address of your gateway host.

For the outside world it looks like there is only one host 'speaking'.