Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:36:19 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom CE3-10/100 (xe(4)) cannot receive multicast frames

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:54:51PM +0100, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
> I have just started to play with IPv6, and after trying to autoconfigure
> the laptop's xe0 interface without any success, I found that the ICMPv6
> route advertisements (which travel encapsulated into multicast Ethernet
> frames, with dst address 33:33:0:0:0:1) were not being received by the
> interface. However, a "netstat -a" shows clearly that multicast address:
>
> Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
> xe0   1500  <Link#2>    00:10:a4:e8:6f:b6     3199     0       24     8     0
>                         33:33:e6:ef:ce:85
>                         33:33:0:0:0:1
>                         33:33:ff:e8:6f:b6
>                         1:0:5e:0:0:1
>
> The xe card, however, sends multicast ethernet frames without any problem.
>
> Then, I used another PCMCIA ethernet card (a NE2000 clone) and everything
> worked fine. Obviously something is seriously broken in the xe(4) driver
> or in the xe hardware. BTW, the card is a Xircom RealPort 100 (equivalent
> to the CE3-10/100).

Something is seriously broken in the xe(4) driver.  I don't think multicast
receive has ever worked properly -- if you grovel around in the if_xe.c
code you'll find some stuff to set up the multicast address filters that is
never actually used :-(  It's been on my list of things to fix for ages,
but no-one complained until now.

I'll look into it as soon as I can, which might not be for a few weeks
(sorry).  In the meantime, could you try putting the card in promiscuous
mode and see if it receives the offending frames then?

> Some xe(4) guru out there?

Probably me, although I think 'guru' may be undeserved :-)

	Scott