Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:16:58 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabami.seaslug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Erasing an IDE disk

Hi-

I'm fixing to remove a disk from my system and give it to someone else. I want
to erase it to try to make sure that no personal or sensitive data can be
recovered from it. So, my first attempt was to install FreeBSD 4.0 on it, then
try to do this kind of stuff:

 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0s2c

but it complained about /dev/ad0s2c being a read-only file system. I can do
installs of DOS, Windoze, etc or various FreeBSD releases, if necessary to do
it.

I'm assuming that I could do it to SCSI disks with a low level format request,
but any suggestions on how to do this to IDE disks?

Thanx,

Scott