Date:      02 Oct 2002 19:49:59 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doc update

Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com> writes:

> >The third is to explain /boot/kernel.conf which is barely mentioned elsewhere.
> I find such discussions so enlightening.  My system doesn't have
>  /boot/kernel.conf

Try handbook.txt (two occurances) and loader(8) and kget(8).

I suspect that it is created when you use certain features of the
kernel-config "visual" menu thing that's available from the boot prompt.
The only thing I've seen in the file is lines like "di pcic0" to cause
the kernel to disable the pcic0 device (ie, the driver for it).  Sorta
counters the line in the KERNCONF file which requests the device.