Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:50:30 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        tqbf@enteract.com, adrian@deathstar.ml.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, David Greenman wrote:

>    None that I can think of if I understand you correctly. The thing you
> want to prevent is regular users being able to bind to a privileged port.
> It would take an average cracker less than 5 minutes to whip up a couple
> of really nasty programs (such as one that pretends to be rlogin - claiming
> to be some other user). As long as you retain control over who/what can
> bind to the privileged ports, I don't see any problem.

Agreed.

> >Surely there must be a nicer way :)
>
>    It would be nice if FreeBSD had account privileges ala VMS. You could then
> have fine grain control over what 'privileged' programs can do, thus limiting
> the vulnerabilites. I've been thinking about this on occasion for many years
> and have discussed the idea with several other people. There are a lot of
> details...it's not as easy as it might seem.

Sounds interesting.

It would be an interesting project to take on, I'm sure.

How about assigning each port number a userid which can bind with the
port alongside root?

Should be easy enough to implement, and powerful enough to not need suid
root binaries to bind to priv'ed ports.

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

Enough from me on this, I have uni tomorrow^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hthis morning.
:) *thwap*

Night,

--
Adrian Chadd			| UNIX, MS-DOS and Windows ...
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		| (also known as the Good, the bad and the