Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:36:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mike Meyer: Just one question again

Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de> types:
> thanks again for your answer. But - as expected - I have again a
> question concerning the FreeBSD installation with NFS and master and
> slave concept. You wrote that before building and installing a new
> kernel on both systems, I have to ensure that on both systems the same
> world is installed.

By that, I meant that the /etc/make.conf options for the two systems
have to be coordinated. I.e. - you don't want to fail to build
sendmail on the master, then try and install it on the slave.

> Now my master and my slave have different "worlds" installed. Should I
> do first a 'make installworld' on the slave system (with master:/usr/src
> and master/usr/obj mounted), then 'mergemastering' and then running
> 'make buildkernel' on the master system and 'make installkernel' on both
> systems? Or what did you mean?
>
> The way I did it until now (for a standalone system) was:
> 'make buildworld'
> 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=ALPHA'
> 'make installkernel KERNCONF=ALPHA'
> 'reboot'
> 'make installworld'
> 'mergemaster'
>
> Perhaps I unterstand the things not in the right way, but: The building
> of the kernel or the world does not influence the actual running kernel
> or system, does it?

Correct, bulding things doesn't influence anything actually
running. You have one thing wrong in the above for the shared build:
don't specify KERNCONF on the command line, set it in /etc/make.conf.

On the master, /etc/make.conf has "KERNCONF=MASTER SLAVE". On the
slave, it's "KERNCONF=SLAVE". There are now three steps:

1) On the master:
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel

2) On the master:
# make installkernel
# shutdown -r now 		# and come up single user
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

3) On the slave:
# make isntall kernel
# shutdown -r now		# go multiuser
# shutdown now			# and then single
# make installworld
# mergemastger
# reboot

Step 1 *must* happen first. The difference between step 2 and 3 is
that you need to mount the network file systems on the slave. If
bringing it all the way up is a problem, you'll have to do those
things by hand.  Step 2 and 3 can happen in any order. I typically do
the slave first, as it's a test system, and if things screw up there's
no immediate need to get it back up.

I don't see much need for doing the installworld & mergemaster
multi-user. It takes about 15 minutes from initial shutdown to new
prompt, including doing a level 9 dump after while it's down.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.