Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:46:07 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for redesigning the TTY layer

--B9BE8dkJ1pIKavwa

Hello Dag-Erling,

* Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:
> Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl> writes:
> > The last couple of days I've been working on a document which describes
> > the changes I'm going to perform. I have just finished this document, so
> > I'm sending it to this list, so you can give your opinion on this
> > matter.
>=20
> wiki.freebsd.org please :)

Great idea. I'll take some time to write an article when I'm at the
office tomorrow.

> > As stated in the conclusion of this document, I am willing to continue
> > development after I graduate. Unfortunately I don't possess all hardware
> > supported by the TTY layer, which means I could use some help after I
> > finished by internship to bring back support for the remaining hardware.
>=20
> Perhaps you could provide a short list of the types of hardware you need
> help with?

The only drivers I can take a look at, are:

- syscons
- sio and uart
- pty
- u(pl)com

I do have a Sun U10 laying around, but the on-board video chip broke
down some time ago, so I can't take a look at the ofw_console driver
anymore. :-(

So basically I'll need help with the console drivers on the more exotic
architectures.

By the time the basic features of the new TTY layer work like they
should, I could also use some help reviving the disciplines, like
SLIPDISC, PPPDISC, etc.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/