Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:29:50 -0700
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sudo and mount_smbfs authentication problem

I am setting up some scripts which need to mount an unmount SMB shares.
I want to do this as an unprivileged user.  I have installed sudo, and
am operating it manually to ascertain the manner in which I will incor-
porate it into my scripts.

As root, I have no problem with:

/root# mkdir mnt
/root# mount_smbfs //photocd@pdx-james/pub mnt
Password:
/root# ls mnt

and sure enough, /root/mnt has the share mounted.  Clearly I know
and can accurately type the password for login "photocd".

But as an ordinary user (actually, a wheel user, and I [think I] have
sudo set up to allow wheel users to do anything), I get:

First without sudo, to see what error I get if sudo isn't doing it's thing:

/usr/home/joeblow> mount_smbfs //photocd@pdx-james/pub mnt
Warning: no cfg file(s) found.
mount_smbfs: can not setup kernel iconv table (default:tolower): syserr = Operation not permitted

Using sudo, I get:

/usr/home/joeblow> sudo mount_smbfs //photocd@pdx-james/pub mnt
Password:
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error

Here is the meat of my sudoers file:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
%wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL

What is preventing joeblow from using mount_smbfs?

The "photocd" login is authenticated by a Windows NT 4.0 Server domain,
if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance!