Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:18:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   conf/17750: periodic/daily problem one day after changing to summer time

>Number:         17750
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       periodic/daily problem one day after changing to summer time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

3.4-STABLE, but I assume all versions

Each morning at 1:59 the /etc/periodic/daily/* scripts are run. Among
them is 460.status-mail-rejects which executes a "date -v-1d '+%b %d'"
command. Depending on how many time is needed to run the previous daily
scripts, it is possible that 460.status-mail-rejects is run shortly after
2:00. In this case, and if the system has changed to daylight saving time
one day before, the "date -v-1d '+%b %d'" fails since the calculated
time does not exist:

Checking for rejected mail hosts:
-1d: Cannot apply date adjustment
usage: date [-nu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ...
            [-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]

>How-To-Repeat:

Can be repeated easily if you have a system that has lots of
things to do when running the /etc/periodic/daily/*. For example,
this might happen when you have big local disks that make
450.status-security run quite a while.

I assume, you can trigger the problem by temporarely creating
a file /etc/periodic/daily/459.sleep that only contains a "sleep 61"
command. Than wait until one day after swithing to summer time
has occured and check your mail :-)

>Fix:

Let the scripts run at 3:01 :-).

Seriously, we could move 460.status-mail-rejects to the beginning of
/etc/periodic/daily but I would not call this a clean solution.