Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:14:03 -0700
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Bryan Curl" <bc3910@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: Re: Boot Manager Conversion

<snip>

> Aaron,
>
> Finally, after trashing FBSD with boot0cfg and the
> Primary master MBR I got the formula figured out.
>
> Now, Win98 is Pri/Master and FBSD is Pri/Slave.
> I fixed MBR with (DOS) fdisk /mbr.
> Did a fresh FBSD install and selected boot loader in
> the Boot Manager screen. Set bios to boot to D drive.
> ran sysinstall and Confiure, Fdisk, AD1, Write,
> Standard MBR in the Boot Manager dialog box. Then ran
> fdisk again selecting AD0. Write, adnt hen selected
> Boot Loader in the Boot Loader selection dialog.
>
> Sounds confusing, and it is (thanks FreeBSD
> sysinstall). But basically I was able to install the
> boot loader on the slave drive and use the bios to
> boot to the FBSD disk. Running sysinstall again I was
> able to remove the boot loader from the slavedrive and
> run fdisk against the master (win98) drive and install
> the boot loader there in MBR.
>
> Now when booting to C drive I get F1 Windows, F5 Drive
> 1. Which begs the question, why does F5 option say
> Drive 1? It should say FreeBSD shouldnt it. I havent
> found any way to correct this cosmetic deficiency.

No, it should say Drive 1. If you have multiple OS's on
the second drive, you will have the option to boot to
them as well. The boot manager seems to be doing its job
perfectly.

This is the expected behavior of the boot loader. It gives
you the option of going back to drive 0 to load the OS on
the fat partition.

> FBSD's boot loader could use a lot of work, especially
> for the sake of the first time sysinstall user.

There are other Boot managers out there. And lots of them
are free. However, I dont really care for what the
Boot-Manager looks like, and the one provided by FreeBSD
does everything that I have needed.

> Any ideas Aaron.

It sounds to me like the product is working perfectly.
You should have the following options right?
	(boot loader time)
	F1 = DOS
	F5 = Drive 1
	(press f1 and you should have)
	F1 = FreeBSD
	F5 = Drive 0

> Thanks for the help earlier, BTW.
>
> Bryan

<snip>

> =====
> Mucho Gratis
> Bryan
> --bc3910@yahoo.com

No Problem. I hope I have been some help.