Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:24:20 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help With Selection of Database Application

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:13:40 -0400
Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On (06/13/04 19:24), Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:24:52 -0500
> > From: "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
> > To: Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
> > Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
> > Subject: Re: Help With Selection of Database Application
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:48:21 -0400
> > Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I've had extensive experience with MS Access as a user
> > > and would like to port a comparable system into my FreeBSD
> > > box. Can anyone recommend a database application similar to
> > > Access?  I've looked through the ports but can't seem
> > > to readily make that distinction without the expertise
> > > of a DBA.
> > >
> > > If this is not the type of question supported by this
> > > mailing list, please disregard.
> > >
> > > Bob Perry
> >
> > I also use MS Access extensively at work.  MS Access has many
> > facets; so the answer to you're question depends upon how you use MS
> > Access:
> >
> > 1.  If you've been using MS Access as a database server, I think
> > you'll be much happier with the likes of PostgreSQL, MySQL or
> > Firebird.  All 3 are available in the ports.
> >
> > 2.  If you're looking for a database application with GUI RAD
> > capabilities similar to MS Access, there are some applications
> > available; but most focus on database administration (simple
> > queries) rather than end-user application development.  You might
> > take a look at PgAdmin III, which is crossplatform, but requires
> > PostgreSQL as the back-end server.  You can find it in the ports
> > (/usr/ports/databases/pgadmin3) or at:
> > http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php
> >
> > There is also a KDE project called "Kexi", which looks promising;
> > but I don't think it's soup yet:  http://www.kexi-project.org
> >
> > 3.  If you're looking for a GUI that facilitates joining/analyzing
> > tables from different servers (PostgreSQL and MySQL tables, for
> > example), I think you're out of luck.
> >
> > I run a PostgreSQL server on FreeBSD at work.  It supplements the
> > Decision Support System and handles the back-end for a few MS Access
> > applications.  The combo works very well as long as your binary
> > fields(boolean, etc) are defined as "not null" with default values.
> >
> > Best of luck,
> >
> > Andrew Gould
>
> Andrew,
>
> This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.  Thanks
> so much for taking the time.
>
> The Kexi project is what I was hoping for however, I'm not
> running KDE and the project, as you say, is not soup yet.
>
> I like the PgAdmin III project and intend to give it a good
> look see.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Bob Perry

Hi Bob,

We're both looking for the same thing.  If you find it, please let me
know!    ;-)

I installed KDE and use a couple of its applications from within XFCE4
-- they work just fine.  I use Konqueror for its webdavs (webdav via
ssl) client support -- something missing in Mozilla.  Ksnapshot is
pretty cool.  I used to use KMail; but am giving Sylpheed a try.  KMail
supports more complex filters; so I may go back.  When Kexi matures, you
might consider giving KDE it a try.

Have a great week.

Andrew