Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 21:28:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>> >In what ways is it fiendishly difficult?  Many so-called grammatical
>> >rules, such as to not split infinitives, are nothing but some 18th
>> >century antiquarian's idea of what the language should be, not what it
>> >really is.
>>
>> I would disagree that the notion is antiquated. Split infinitives
>> create an ambiguous reference that isn't easily understood without
>> back-tracking and sorting out the pointers.
>
>So what you're saying is, it makes your LISP code more complicated,
>and you don't like that for some reason...

	(absolutely(right(you are)));

>	"You can't add too much water to a nuclear reactor..."
>	"You can't stare too long at a nuclear cloud..."
>				-- Edward Asner, Saturday Night Live
>	"Take my wife, please."
>				-- Groucho Marx
>

>>  Double negatives are equally as bad. "I don't have no X..." is common
>> American street idiom, but says little except the speaker has some X
>> -- which isn't what they generally mean.
>
>	"I can't get no... satisfaction."
>				-- Mick Jagger

If his biography is true, that's probably correct;) As ugly and as
obnoxious as he was, that borders on unbelievable.

>	"I can't get no respect."
>				-- Rodney Dangerfield

That, I don't think was true -- which explains the humor.

>> 'if [ ! "$grammer" != "$common_sense" ]; then...' is difficult to
>> read, hear or comprehend.
>

>Wait!  That isn't "csh" syntax!  Are you running "tcsh" or
>something?
>
>Let me try it out...

If you like it, I release it under the BSD license. Of course, it
works about as well as a similar construct in English. There are no
warranties either expressed or implied.

>% What would I have if I had a ) for the each hour these threads have run?
>Too many )'s.
>%

$ A syntax error probably -- and something equally difficult to
understand. Terry, I'm hurt that you didn't feel my pain:)

-- Jay