Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:47:36 -0700
From:      Hartoyo <hbarlian1@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS migration?

I am trying to move my lab's old NIS master server from old Sparc
station (running SunOS 4.x) to the FreeBSD box.
My question is:
Can I do it without any compatibility problem? my boss is concern about
the encryption system (FreeBSD uses MD5(?) where SunOS/Solaris uses
DES(?)). Would it matter?
Then, how could I move the database from the old Sun to the FreeBSD box?
there are about 150 users registered with NIS? should I set the FreeBSD
as NIS slave master? the plan is to retire all the Sun boxes and replace
it with FreeBSD boxes.

Last question: I don't think it would matter, but should I concern with
different UID between FreeBSD and SunOS? (for ex: FreeBSD "bin" has UID
3,
where SunOS "bin" has UID 2, etc)

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Hartoyo