Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:29:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        brain_damaged <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
Cc:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: psuedo terminal cannot be allocated error

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello
> I rebooted and no luck.
> When i try to ssh in I get this error on the console
> sshd[395]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
> sshd[395[: failed to allocate pty
>
> On the reboot I found another error:
> /etc/rc: /usr/lib/.fx/./xs: not found
> however it is there.
> I did a cd /usr/lib
> then a cd /.fx then if i do a ls -l the xs is there.
> I did not find any reference to xs in rc.conf or
> inetd.conf so not sure were its coming from.
> thanks
> bd

No idea what "/usr/lib/.fx" would be - could you have been hacked? It
seems like if you were, that xs line would have been added to /etc/rc to
make sure the hack survived a reboot.

Anyways, it is sounding like you need to cd to /dev and run

sh MAKEDEV pty1
sh MAKEDEV pty2
sh MAKEDEV pty3
sh MAKEDEV pty4

Then if you get "device not configured" you need to up your pty value in
your kernel config.