Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 02:11:49 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dale Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Future And Direction Of FreeBSD Project

This depends on your point of view.

If your a Jordan, or a core member, or even someone knowlegable of FreeBSD's
history, you will probably say that it never really had corporate sponsorship.
In short, the modern FreeBSD of today draws it's roots from BSD Lite (a
non-bootable,
reference operating system) and a tremendous amount of work and rework by
many members of the community.  While it originally was mainly distributed by
Walnut Creek CDROM, most of the people that did the work on it did not work
directly for Walnut Creek.  This got a bit blurry with BSDI and later
WindRiver
as many of the major players on FreeBSD went to work for that entity.  It's
now back the way it used to, with the vast majority of people contributing
code not actually working for WindRiver or DaemonNews

Howver, the problem is that the PERCEPTION of the general computing community
of FreeBSD (those members that knew what it is, that is) was very much colored
by the close association of the FreeBSD Project and Walnut Creek, followed by
the acquisition of Walnut Creek by BSDI, then followed by the acquisition of
BSDI by WindRiver.

This is because the FreeBSD project never in the past took great pains to
distance itself from the "designated host fish" as it were.  Of course, now
it's very much in vogue for the core team members that care about such things
(not
many of them do, actually) to yell at the top of their lungs "we aren't
affected by what [insert designated host fish here] is doing" but this is a
comparatively
new development.

It's also very convenient when dealing with the typical corporate suits in
a corporation to slap out [designated host fishie's name] when the question
is raised "This FreeBSD stuff is all well and good but who did you say
the name of the vendor was?" instead of taking a half-hour explaining how
support on Free Software _really_ works.  I mean, you can hardly tell
a corporate businessman that is considering running his operations on
FreeBSD that if there's a problem with it "I'll just post the problem
to this mailing list, see..."  That kind of has to come later - AFTER
he's seen the stuff running solid and stable for 6 months and has a little
faith in it.

So, the upshot is that there are some fundamental reasons that HAVEN'T
GONE AWAY for many FreeBSD users to "pretend" that there's a designated
flagship corporate sponsor.  Right now, that's WindRiver, in the future it
may be Daemon News or both, for that matter.

>So I am here sitting wondering what's the real scoop with the project
>and can we say definitely that this project is independant of corporate
>sponsorship?

This depends on what consists of corporate sponsorship.  Is it support?  Well,
for a short time BSDI and WindRiver were selling support contracts for
FreeBSD.  I don't see that listed anywhere on WindRiver's site today, the
only FreeBSD support they seem to be offering anymore is installation
technical support on FreeBSD CD's that are sold with their name on it.
In short - for the $40 price of the CD you get a 800 number to call for
a support tech to help you get the OS loaded.

This is not to say that there aren't lots of companies out there offering
technical consulting of FreeBSD.  (there are)

On the other hand, if your definition of corporate sponsorship is paying
money for things the project needs (like hosting) well they seem to have
a lot of fingers in that pie now.  Last I heard Qwest.net was footing the
bill for the central repository servers.  Since most of FreeBSD distribution
servers are mirrors of the central one, those mirrors are supported by the
ISP's and companies that maintain them.

Or, if your definition of corporate sponsorship is an entity that is paying
money out for salaries of developers - well that only happened for a short
time when BSDI had announced they would shift the entire commercial BSDI
codebase over to FreeBSD.  But that never happened and Wind River won't
do it of course.  And even during the heyday of BSDI they certainly wern't
paying salaries of more than probably 1% of all FreeBSD developers.

>What about the fired workers are they still willing to work for the
>project? And people like Jordan etc. are they still actively involved or
>is the project being gradually deserted?

The project is always constantly adding new developers and shedding old ones
that decide to go off and do something else.  It's not being deserted.

>What has Linux have that we don't?

A bunch of developers that are running around with ego's the size of
Manhattan,
who cannot resist at spouting off at the least little thing that they
think impacts them, even when it has nothing whatsover to do with them.
By and large the FreeBSD developers are more pragmatic, and don't tend to
shoot off their mouths too much (and the ones that did got burned in the
BSDI collapse and are now more gun-shy)  While this is great if the idea
is to build an OS that's strong and stable, it isn't very good for grabbing
press.  And if your goal is a Linux in every pot, you gotta grab a lot of
press to do it.

>Hell, If I had even half the talent of some of you guys I'd be more than
>willing to give up my free time to this cause, but right now I don't
>feel that I have enough to contribute.

There's a very important thing you can do to contribute - and it's probably
the most important thing that anyone who uses and likes FreeBSD can do -
tell as many people about it as you know and who might be interested.

People will eat what's set down in front of them if there's no other choice.
But, if given a choice they will always pick the best quality.  It's only when
things like pricing, support, and political salability are considered that
they
will cave in (ie: compromise) and take the worse-tasting dog food.

If a colleage of yours in the business only knows Microsoft, if YOU never
tell him about FreeBSD, then he can't help but continue to eat the dog food.

>So please what's going on with my favourite OS?

look in the mirror and ask the question - whoever you see in the mirror is the
only one that can answer that.