Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:39:56 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Frode Nordahl <froden@bigblue.no>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 0

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 11:56:55AM +0200, Frode Nordahl wrote:

> I've noticed that FreeBSD defaults to run in runlevel -1.  I've set it to
> 0 manally, but after a short while the FreeBSD box has upped that to
> securelevel 1 all by itself.  Why?  and anyway to prevent this?

The purpose of securelevel 0 is that it is automatically raised to
1 when the system goes multi-user.  If you don't want it to be raised,
use securelevel -1.  The auto-raise behavior is the only difference
between -1 and 0; they are both "insecure".

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.