Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:38:06 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        Karl Jeacle <karl@jeacle.ie>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000). ARGH!

>Karl Jeacle wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, the switchbox appears as: "psm0:
>> model IntelliMouse, device ID 3", regardless of what the actual mouse is.
>
>This is due to a bug in psm.c that I reported a while back. There is a
>table of mice types, and there is a #define that is meant to be the
>index in the table of the generic PS/2 mouse, but it instead points to
>the Intellimouse entry (if I remember correctly, it has a value of 7
>when it should be 11).

Ooops, I forgot to fix this bug!  Thank you for reminding.

But, it is highly likely that this is NOT the cause of this wrong
message.

Some switch box product ALWAYS pretend that the mouse is a
IntelliMouse whenever it sees the host computer is trying to probe
IntelliMouse by sending a special command sequence to the mouse.

I guess the manufacture is assuming that since the host computer is
sending this special sequence of commands, some sort of IntelliMouse
driver is installed on the computer, and thus, the mouse must be
IntelliMouse (what a terrible assumption!)

Kazu