Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:52:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
To:        glewis@eyesbeyond.com (Greg Lewis)
Cc:        stuartb@abs.karoo.co.uk (Stu Brown), freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

Dear Greg

This is not a notice of volounteerring.
My environment is a FreeBSD-current machine (as of July 12th).

Now, I have followed all the instructions in the BUILD files etc.
It is not the first time I build a JDK, I did successfully build JDK 1.2.2
before.  For the record, I have been porting GNU software to various
platforms since 1991.  Yet, I seem to miss a point here.

I get all sorts of hurdles, which I try to cleanly fix.
Right now, I don't get sun/javac/javac to build, because libjava.so
accesses all sorts of mathematical functions (jtan, jsin, etc).

I see that javac depends on -ljvm, -ljava and -lverify.

Which of these ones should be linked against -lfdlibm ?
My guess is it has to be -ljvm.

My source tree is rooted in /tmp/j2sdk.

Th reason why I get this is probably because I call the build process with
the following line:

	setenv LIBj /tmp/j2sdk/j2sdk1.3.1/build/build-i386/lib
	gmake -C j2sdk1.3.1/make LINK.c=gcc LINK.cc=g++ \
		OTHER_LDLIBS="-L$LIBj -L$LIBj/classic -L$LIBj/green_threads"

If I don't overwrite LINK.c, I don't get too far, in fact, the very first
shared library does not get build, since LINK.c, as it is pre-defined, and
called via the Makefile, tries to build an executable.

I am aware of the fact that if I redefine OTHER_LDLIBS, most targets are
affected by it.

Did You run into this situation so far ?  Maybe You can direct me into the
rightr direction.

Thanks !

Ciao, derweil,
--