Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 19:35:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   streaming webcam

I run a website for a local Milwaukee City Guide.  And this weekend the
city festivals kick off with River Splash, a very large party along the
river downtown.  To have a little fun, we wanted to have a webcam set up
to take some shots of the streets as the people walk by.

It is now set up, but I would like to do it better, and I think I can do
it with FreeBSD, but would like some opinions on hardware.  Here is the
current cam, if you are curious.

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/webcam/bsdcam.html

This cam was set up by another company for the website as I have been busy
preparing the relaunch of our updated site.  The image is uploaded via ftp
every 30 seconds.  I do not know what OS is being used, but I would guess
they are using Windows.  It is also using a plain old modem to get an
internet connection.  The camera is a Quickcam.

Hardware and Camera

What I would like do is build a very low cost box with basic hardware
which includes a small harddrive, minimal memory, decent modem and a
camera of some sort.  The camera I am not sure about.  I would like one
which is both inexpensive but can also be adjusted to zoom in on the city
streets as it will likely be positioned up high.

What camera hardware can be used here?  Has anyone set this up before?

The OS, FreeBSD

Next I want FreeBSD to be on the box, maybe even PicoBSD if it can handle
it.  I like the idea of running without a harddrive and being able to
do an install by simply copying a disk.  It also drops the cost down,
allowing us to do even more cams more quickly.

Web Server

Once it is up, I would install a slimmed down version of apache or maybe
even another webserver like zeus so that the public webserver can pull the
images from the box, and not wait for an ftp connection.  I like to detect
if I can get the http connection and act accordingly.

Modem

Once I have a webserver, I need an internet connection.  I could have a
modem set up to dial out to on of the local ISPs, but it needs to stay
online, at least from 6am to 3am.  I have never scripted a modem
connection, so I need suggestions here.

I may also be missing some other areas where I can use FreeBSD to my
advantage, but I cannot think of them now.

Once I do put together a solution with FreeBSD, I hope to write up the
instructions and send them to be posted on FreeBSDDiary.org.  Then
everyone can build a nice webcam.  I would even put up the configs for
PicoBSD if I go that route.

The world needs more webcams!  And in a couple hours I should be in the
bar below that webcam, have a frosty brew.

Thanks in advance,

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?