Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:15:58 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, doomstar@doomstar.com
Subject:   Re: IRC/oidentd problem

On 20 Oct 00, at 10:47, doomstar@doomstar.com wrote:

Watch your mouth about the man pages, especially if you're as
broke as you purport.

Have you tried IRC'ing from your firewall?  That's usually not the
smartest idea in the world, but if there's a problem with ident (tcp:
113), then it may be due to your firewall blocking it.  Therefore,
install ircii or bitchX and try it from there.

Is the IRC server saying you have a problem with identd, or does it
just say you're unauthorised?  BTW, if you're trying to get onto
Efnet lately, and your ISP doesn't *own* an Efnet server, you're
going to run into a lot of this; they won't allow users that aren't
special.  What networks have you tried?

What is your IP scheme?  What kind of network connection do you
have?  What is included in your firewall rules?  How are you
invoking oidentd, and with what arguments?  If the man pages
suck, what shall we say of your description of your problem?

-Charlie