Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 07:37:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fujitsu 635Tx: interim report

This is one of life's great mysteries.  At one point Nate found some sort
of relationship between this and X.  I use a NEC-6030X which behaves most
of the time, but it seems that certain cisco console ports encourage the
problem more readily than others.  For example, I can boot with xdm on
vty3, switch to vty0 and run kermit - plug into the dumb, no hw flow
control 9600 baud console of a router, and bang, crippling silo overflows
(not the innocuous ones I see periodically while using a modem cards.)  I
can get momentary relief by closing and reopening the kermit session.
Other devices I can plug into and run forever without any problem.

After thinking the problem had gone away I found a console the other day
that this would happen on reliably; perhaps I'll go back with a breakout
box and see if there isn't some extraneous signal which might be having an
effect.  I'm running 2.2+pao circa June 1997.

-Chris