Date:      Sat, 26 May 2007 12:30:42 -0700
From:      "pete wright" <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        "Svein Halvor Halvorsen" <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restore UFS snapshot

On 5/26/07, Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc> wrote:

> Roland Smith wrote:
> >> Is it possible to rollback a file system snapshot, i.e. restore the
> >> file system to the state it was in at the time a mksnap_ffs command
> >> was issued?
> >
> > You can mount the snapshot, and then copy the files back to the original fs.
> > Note that cp can preserve flags, but not ACLs AFAIK.
>

> Yes, I know that this is possible. However, it's a lot of work.
> There should be some straightforward way of rolling back to a
> snapshot, since the files and all the file system structure are
> already there. Also, there might not be room on the disk for it.

well, if you are using snapshot's you already have most likely
calculated the overhead that the snapshot(s) will take - so i'm a
little confused at to the lack of room available for the snapshot.
it's not uncommon to have hourly, daily, weekly snapshot's of given
volumes.

> >> User scenario:
> >>
> >> Before a major upgrade (eg. releng->current, portupgrade -a, etc),
> >> it would be nice to mksnap_ffs, and then after the upgrade be able
> >> to either delete the snapshot if all went well, or rollback to the
> >> snapshot.
> >
> > You should use dump(8) in this case. Create level 0 dumps of your
> > filesystems and store them somewhere. You can dump live filesystems with
> > dump's -L flag.
> >
> > If you botch the upgrade, you can use restore(8) to revert your
> > filesystems to the situation before the upgrade.
> >
> > Note that you should really make regular dumps of your filesystems as
> > backups anyway!
>
> This is also beyond the point, although I appreciate that you
> suggest alternative ways to meet my objectives. dump/restore would
> also require additional disk space.
>
> I do actually backup my data on a regular basis, but not all of my
> computers really need external backup, as I could stand some
> downtime. However, if I could easily make a snapshot, and then
> either roll back or delete it afterwards, it would be a nice
> compromise between security and effort. And also: it seems it should
> be possible to do this. If not, I might want to make a tool for it.

they handbook has a pretty decent example of how to use dump along
side mksnap_ffs - and it seems pretty robust to me.  when dealing with
whole filesystems and important data i think dump(8) is really the way
to go as much work has been put into ensuring that you end up with a
consistent image on disk.

having said that - i see no reason why one couldn't write a wrapper
around dump(8) and mksnap_ffs.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~