Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:56:40 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tk4.0p2 on FreeBSD: compiles OK but tests fail

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to get Tk4.0 up and running on my almost-stock
FreeBSD-2.0.5 box.  Both tcl7.4 and tk4.0 (patched up to the 'p2' level)
compiled right out of the box.  Tcl needs a minor change under to set the
floating point exception mask (as was done with tcl7.3 in the ports
collection), but once that was done it passes all of its tests just fine.

The trouble starts with Tk -- no complaints during the build, but _lots_ of
tests fail.  Interestingly, I get less failed tests if I run them under a
pared-down X setup (just twm and an xterm) rather than my usual mess of
clients and a vastly over-configured fvwm.  The output from 'make test' is
over 40K so I won't post it here -- mail me or check out my post on
comp.lang.tcl or comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

I reinstalled FreeBSD only a few weeks ago so the system is basically stock
apart from the various packages I have installed.  These include
tcl7.3/tk3.6 but as I'm linking the new versions statically and haven't
installed them yet I don't think there should be any interference between
the two.

So, to the questions:
1) Does anyone in the FreeBSD world have Tk4 running cleanly, and if so,
   how did you do it?
2) The XFree86 on the FreeBSD CD's is X11R6, right?  I compiled
   tcl7.4/tk4.0 up under SunOS 4.1.4 & X11R6 on a school machine, and got a
   similar amount of failed tests from Tk.  I would normally expect very
   few complaints building Tk on a Sun machine.  On a Solaris 2.4 box with
   *X11R5* Tk passes all of its tests.  I'm not sure what X release Tk was
   originally written for, but there could be a connection here?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted
Cheers,

	Scott Mitchell

 Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
    email: scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   WWW: http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott/
          finger scott@redstar.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key