Date:      10 Jan 2002 00:54:52 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/lib/libc_r.so: undefined reference to `_thread_sys_sigreturn'

On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 00:31, Rob B wrote:
> I submitted a PR (#31996) back in November about a build of db3 failing on
> Alpha.  The build fails with:
>
>   configure:1084: checking for gcc
>   configure:1197: checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe -mcpu=ev56 )
> works
>   configure:1213: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -mcpu=ev56
> -D_THREAD_SAFE   conftest.c -pthread 1>&5
>   /usr/lib/libc_r.so: undefined reference to `_thread_sys_sigreturn'
>   configure: failed program was:
>
>   #line 1208 "configure"
>   #include "confdefs.h"
>
>   main(){return(0);}
>   (end of "config.log")
>   *** Error code 1
>
> Looking back through the freebsd-alpha archives, it would appear that it is
> a problem that has been fixed in libc.  Is it possible to just build an
> updated libc, rather than rebuilding world?  I would like to stay at 4.4
> rather than upgrading the box to 4.5-RC

You can cvsup everything, then cd to /usr/src/lib/libc and do a make all
install clean.  For this problem, I think you will also need to do the
same in /usr/src/lib/libc_r.

However, there is no telling what just upgrading libc and libc_r may
do.  You may break some things.  If you decide to do this, you might
want to keep a backup of your libc and libc_r shared objects and archive
libs around.

Joe