Date:      9 Nov 1998 08:32:43 -0000
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        james@westongold.com
Cc:        james@westongold.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel threading (was Re: Thread Scheduler bug)

> Which was my point really.  I'd rather waste the VM space and make the
> context switch more costly than have pthread_self and
> pthread_[sg]etspecific make kernel calls.  Context switching is
> somewhat infrequent after all.  If its not, the efficiency of these
> APIs is hardly your biggest worry.

I certainly was not suggesting putting anything like pthread_self in
the kernel.  In fact almost any kludge would be preferable to that.

But there are better ways than what you were suggesting.

> It does mean that the page maps for multiple kernel threads executing in
> a process need to be different OR that a register is used somehow.

Here I'd probably vote for the segment register approach.

> As an application programmer it doesn't seem to matter, though as a
> C/C++ programmer I guess I'd rather see the dedicated use of a segment
> register since it seems likely to give the best performance and I'm
> not using them directly anyway.  But I guess that's a whole ABI change.

Not an evil change, though, it would hardly break anything.

> Huh?  I'm asking for pthread_*_[sg]etpshared, for P1003.1-1996.  Are you
> objecting to them in principal?

No, you didn't mention that was what you meant.