Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:46:08 -0600
From:      Jay Sern Liew <jay@sendtech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   restricting user's directory listing and changing

Greetings.

     Basically, I have this group of users, that I give SSH/SFTP access, but I
don't want them to be able to see the complete file hierarchy and ``cd'' to
them. I just want a user to be able to access the user's home, and that's it.

     I looked up some docs on the shell(tcsh) and sshd, but didn't find anything
apppropriate. Has anyone wanted to do this before? I was thinking, or maybe I
could redirect that group of users to use a different version of the command
``cd'' and ``ls'' so that it will only work within their home directories.

     Thought of jail too, but jail only jails processes, and these guys aren't
really running processes, just file access.

     Any ideas? Thanks in advance.