Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dirk Zoller <duz@onlinehome.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/29306: Network or kernel related performance problem.

>Number:         29306
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Network or kernel related performance problem.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We're building a big client-server system. We have a test program for
our fundamental message passing library. The test program can act as
server or client. To run a little torture test on a system we start
a number of clients simultaneously. The clients send a lot of random
sized messages and the server echoes these.

When I run 10 clients on FreeBSD the whole system becomes very
sluggish while `top' reports the system was mostly idle. The torture
test takes extremely long and even when it's finished, the system
needs a while to recover from the trauma and return to normal
performance.

With Linux/NetBSD/WindowsNT I can run the same torture test with
50 clients with no problems. These systems stay responsive while
top reports they are busy. The whole torture test finishes in the
expected time.

I'd say, FreeBSD has a significant kernel problem here.

>How-To-Repeat:
Please contact me for the test program that I will provide happily.
Run my test program on a freshly installed vanilla 4.3 FreeBSD system
using the precompiled GENERIC kernel.

>Fix:
Sorry, I'm not a kernel hacker.