Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:00:35 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        James Long <list@ns.museum.rain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cmp: Cannot allocate memory

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:01:00 -0800  James Long wrote:
 +------------------
 | # cmp a b
 | cmp: b: Cannot allocate memory
 +------------------

This surprises me. I'll look into it.

Looking at the source for cmp shows that it uses mmap to access the
file data.  The mmap manual page indicates that it will fail if the
ammount of memory that has been mapped exceeds the kernel parameter
vm.max_proc_mmap.  I'd guess that this is what is happening.

It seems silly to me that the utility would be written this way.
I'd have expected that it would be written in terms of read(2)
rather than mmap(2). Still you may be able to fix this by bumping the value
of vm.max_proc_mmap with sysctl.

Good Luck

--
    Chris Fedde