Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:13:00 -0800
From:      Scott Johnson <srj@nsd.3com.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, ssriva1@umbc.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD 2.1

ssriva1> Another question I have is about the mouse.  I have a Logitech two
ssriva1> button mouse with a round circular plug that connects to the back
ssriva1> of the computer.  Is this a bus mouse or a PS/2 mouse?

dwhite> Well, it's both :-)  Those are synonyms.

msmith> No, they're not.  "bus" mice have a micro hung off the AT bus;
msmith> PS/2 mice have keyboard-style interfaces and hang off the
msmith> keyboard controller.

msmith> Very _very_ different.  The above is almost certainly a PS/2
msmith> rodent, as busmice are virtually extinct.

Just because bus mice are 'virtually extinct' doesn't mean that he
hasn't picked up a bus mouse somewhere.  Take it from me, we have
hundreds of 'em around here...  Although you won't find them on new
machines, I will concede.

The easiest way to tell is to look at the connector.  A PS/2 rat will
have a plastic keying pin (an oblong pin) in the center of the
connector, while the busmouse will have a plain din-type (I don't
think it's exactly a DIN connector) plug (or a DB connector if it's
_ancient_.)  There is a variant of the busmouse called an "InPort"
mouse (I think it's MicroSquash only), I don't know what the
difference is between those and bus mice.

--
 --srj           MIPS, n.  Acronym for "Meaningless Indications of
       o_O                 Processor Speed".                    --M. Werner