Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:01:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kyle Steven Butt <kylebutt@myrealbox.com>
Subject:   Re: ping6 ::1, No Route to host

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Kyle Steven Butt wrote:

> Heelp Please. I'm trying to get ipv6 up and running, at least on the
> localhost, but I can't even get that working. can anyone tell me what's
> wrong? Please Reply directly as I'm not subscribed to the list. Thanks
> in advance.
>
> bash-2.04$ ping6 ::1
> PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) ::1 --> ::1
> ping6: sendmsg: No route to host
> ping6: wrote ::1 16 chars, ret=-1

Try running "ping6 ::1%lo0".  You have to specify which interface to use
because each interface has a "local-link" address (fe80::/64).  I learned
this when playing with IPv6 on my LAN.  I would have to type (for example)
"ping6 fe80::4bff:fed3:badc%xl0" to ping one of the other machines.  This
obviously gets old fast, to which I setup DNS.  You could also put an
entry in /etc/hosts if that will suffice.